Monday 12 October 2009

My two Cents

Last night, I watched newsnight on comic books and there was a woman on there that made me so angry and so annoyed that I feel I have to write about it.

The programme as well as others, had Kevin Smith on and were talking about Kick Ass among other things. This woman attempted to argue that women in comics (especially Hit Girl) were a sexist interpretation for men to drool over. I have not read Kick Ass but from what I heard and what i know about it, it is infact Mark Millar (the writer of Kick Ass) who is portraying a positive portrayal of women not this person on newsnight. She argued that the fact that Hit Girl is the stronger character and better at being a hero than the male character Kick Ass, made Hit Girl a sexist character. WHAT?! Am i the only one that cannot understand her reasoning?

Now, to prove that not all female characters in comic books look like the women in Sin City, I am going to focus on a character that I know a lot about: Mary Jane. Mary Jane, for me, is one the best characters in comic books out of both genders. Yes, in the Marvel universe, she may have the stereotypical look of big boobs, tiny waist etc, she is unbelievably strong. In Spiderman, I would argue that although Peter is the physically strong character, MJ is mentally strong. She is the one that keeps him going, she is the one that keeps everything going and not just that she is the one that is more successful in her job. From this, I am going to argue to an even greater extent that the ultimate MJ is even more of a positive role model for women. The Ultimate MJ does not look like the stereotypical sin city woman: she looks like the typical geeky girl. What is more, she is as intelligent as Peter as her nickname is Brainy Jane. What is more, recently, MJ has started to write for the school paper and was the one that split up with Peter not the other way round. Therefore, again, I would argue that MJ is the stronger character out of herself and MJ.

Anyway, if you didnt watch it, i player it. it was really good and if you think i'm wrong, leave me a comment. But thats my opinion

No comments:

Post a Comment